Head of the Department: Ana Bobovec
The Archaeological Department of the Moslavina Museum in Kutina began to operate in 1963 and undertook a reconnaissance of the terrain and a series of probing archaeological explorations (1963, 1964, 1966, 1968) that yielded a rich moveable archaeological material that illustrated life in the broader region of Moslavina in the late Neolithic, Aeneolithic, Bronze Age and Iron Age periods, as well as from the Roman period. Archaeological explorations were also carried out at a number of late mediaeval sites, and the unearthed items have become a part of the Archaeological Collection.
The first permanent exhibition of the Archaeological Collection was opened in 1971, and archaeological exploration and expansion of the Collection continued in 1990.
The Archaeological Department now holds more than 5000 objects, mostly fragments of ceramics, but also objects made from stone, bone, bronze, gold… They have been catalogued according to periods: prehistory, antiquity - Roman period, late mediaeval period. Part of the holdings is still being catalogued. Systematic archaeological explorations were carried out at the late mediaeval burg Garić Grad (1968-1972), where conservation work was also done.
Larger-scale explorations were begun in 1990 at a tell site at the Marić burg in Mikleuška, but were never completed. Levels of continuous inhabitation from the late Neolithic to the early Iron Age (some 2500 years) were discovered. In 1997 systematic excavations were begun at the Roman site of Ciglenica in Osekovo (Popovača municipality). During five one-month archaeological campaigns some 1000 sq. metres were excavated; it was determined that this was part of a larger Roman villa complex that covered some 25,000 sq. metres. Apart from preserved foundations of a building within the villa complex and traces of a hypocaust, abundant and diverse moveable archaeological material was unearthed: fragments of all types of architectural elements, fragments of ceramic and glass vessels, jewellery and various other household items. The foundations of the building have been conserved and presented in situ, and further excavations are planned.